So, you had a car accident. You filed your claim with your insurance company. You provided all the documentation they asked for. After waiting for what feels like forever, you get a letter stating that your car insurance claim is denied. You have a car that you can’t drive. You’ve missed time at work. Maybe you have an injury. Having your insurance company deny your claim is the last thing you need.
Why Was Your Car Insurance Claim Denied?
There are many reasons why an insurance company would deny your claim. The letter of denial issued by the insurance company should give a detailed reason. Here are the most common reasons your car insurance claim may have been denied:
- You didn’t pay your monthly premiums. Even one missed payment can cause your policy to lapse. If this happens, you are not insured and the company won’t pay your claim.
- Your policy doesn’t cover the type of damages incurred. For example, if you only have liability insurance, they will not cover for damage to your car
- Your policy has limits. You may have chosen high deductibles to avoid a large monthly premium. If the insurance company feels the damages fall below the deductible amount, they won’t pay your claim.
- Your name isn’t on the policy. Is the policy in your name or someone else’s? Were you driving someone else’s car at the time of the accident?
- Your driving privileges faced suspension. Was your driver’s license in good standing at the time of the accident? Insurance companies will deny a claim if your license wasn’t valid.
- You didn’t document the scene properly. This may be the most important reason your car insurance claim is denied. It warrants a bit more discussion here.
Documenting the Accident Scene
It is important that you do a few things before you leave the accident scene. We understand this is frustrating. All you want to do is deal with the cops and get home to rest after an accident. Or maybe you’re hurt and need to go to the hospital. If this is the case, see if there is a third party you trust who can do this for you.
Make sure you do all of the following (if you can) at the accident scene:
- Get the name and phone numbers of the other driver’s insurance company.
- Get contact information for any eyewitnesses.
- Take pictures of the cars, injuries, traffic signs, skid marks, etc.
- Take notes of anyone who claims they have an injury.
- Seek immediate medical attention if injured.
Too many people refuse medical attention because of the cost or time involved. This is the biggest mistake you can make. You can be denied compensation later if you do not seek medical attention. If hurt, you need to get treated. If you wait, your injuries will not be covered. You will lose your right to sue for your injuries if you do not get documentation.
Have an Auto Accident Lawyer in Athens Review Your Policy
If you don’t already have a lawyer to handle your car insurance claim, you may want to get one now. An experienced attorney can review your policy and see if there any legitimate reasons why your claim was denied. They understand the fine print on your policy. They can let you know if your claim should have been paid. Also, they can also give you an idea of whether or not you should pursue the insurance company.
A Good Car Accident Lawyer in Athens Can Fight for You
You need a strong auto accident lawyer by your side. They will fight to get the insurance company to pay. You’re entitled to damages for your injuries and loss. It is important to tell your lawyer how much you have paid out of pocket (car rentals, repairs, etc.) You also need to let him know how much work you have missed due to the accident. Your attorney will contact the insurance company and get you what you deserve.
The insurance companies do not want a fight. They do not want to go to trial. It is expensive and it takes time. They would rather negotiate a settlement or pay your claim. A good car accident lawyer will do this for you. The insurance company is going to tell you no. Your attorney will stand up for you. Call an experienced attorney in Athens, Georgia at Athens Car Accident Lawyers today to discuss your case before it’s too late!